"Continental Army Encampments at Morristown 1777-1781 Life Guard Camp
On this site the Commander in Chief’s Guard was encamped from December 1779 to June 1780. The Guard was reorganized in Morristown during the first encampment in 1777 and again in 1780. Washington made his headquarters in the Ford House opposite. Erected in 1932 by Tempe Wicke Society Children of the American Revolution"