Skip to main content

About this collection

This collection contains historical manuscript and published maps of geographic areas within Morris and Sussex Counties. Included in this collection is an 1860 map of Sussex County, New Jersey, from actual surveys and records founded on the state geological survey, an 1817 manuscript map of Morristown by Louisa Macculloch (daughter of George Macculloch, founder of the Morris Canal) , and an 1827  manuscript map of the village of Rockaway showing a section of the Morris Canal.

 

 

 

The images shown on this page are just part of this entire collection. Click the link below or the "Browse" tab above to see all the items in this collection.

 

Browse Collection 

 

Map of Sussex Co., New Jersey, from actual surveys and records under the direction of Griffith Morgan Hopkins Jr., C.E., founded on the state geological survey ; Carlos Allen, Publisher, Philadelphia, 1860.

In addition to showing topographical features including bodies of water and elevations, names of land owners, tenants and commercial enterprises are listed in this detailed 1860 map of Sussex County, New Jersey. Churches, schoohouses and businesses such as mines, grist mills, saw mills, wheel wright shops, blacksmith shops, paint shops, and lime kilns are indicated.  

The 1860 Sussex County map includes magnified inserts of Balesville, Beemerville, Branchville, Coleville, Deckertown, Flatbrookville, Franklin Furnace, Greensville, Hamburg, Huntsville, Lafayette, Milford PA, Mount Salem, Peter's Valley, Sparta, Stanhope, Stillwater, Swartswood and Vernon, with resident's names.  At the bottom of the map is a statistical chart for 1859 with a table for tax and land statistics.

 

Several maps are surveys of property around Morris County, which focus on Lake Hopatcong and its surroundings. The maps frequently denote property purchase or acquisition dates, ranging from 1713 - 1880. Some maps delineate the property of Stephen Jackson shortly before and after his death in 1812. Also in this collection is an underground map of Baker Mine from 1876.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK